Blogging Mama

Total Pageviews

Friday, October 5, 2012

I Get It

Chilly Friday afternoons in Wisconsin seem to bring out my imagination - so here's a little flash fiction to start your weekend off. Enjoy - and may your paths be abundantly filled with lemons, sugar, sunshine, and friends who understand you. ~Crystal



I Get It

“I get it Michael; I’ll see you in a few days.” I grumbled into the phone before slamming it down on the desk. The husband with the growing empire, I get it…he had a business to run and things that needed his attention in Florida. In the meantime, here I am, stuck in Wisconsin’s Northwood’s for another weekend alone. Good thing he bought me a nice house on the lake and a boat so I could enjoy myself with absolutely no one to talk to for days at a time. I slammed my coffee cup on the counter and rolled my eyes as the tears streamed down my cheeks. Good thing we are three hours away from my friends and family.

I decided to take a walk. We really did have a beautiful home, and I really liked Rhinelander. I thought about all the positives as I walked down the long winding gravel driveway kicking at the fall leaves as I went. I had everything most girls dreamed about. I had a handsome husband who was successful, a home on a pristine lake, and if you didn’t know me you’d think I was spoiled. Michael made sure that I had every material thing a girl could ask for. Massages, manicures, pedicures, a lovely sports car, and I could spend as much money as I wanted. I carried a check book and a debit card that his manager balanced. I never seemed to run out of money. My bookshelves were over flowing, I took a weekly pottery class, and I could write out charitable donations without a second thought about our budget or keeping the lights on. When I was sad, he took me on vacation, bought me new shoes, jewelry, or whatever the latest trend was.

I was kicking myself harder than I was kicking those leaves. I thought ‘Bianca, how can you be unhappy? You have no right to be unhappy.’ I was unhappy because he just didn’t understand me. He was once my best friend and now he thought all these THINGS would make me happy. I had never been about things and I felt betrayed because he didn’t know me anymore. I smiled at the memory of a time when he had…a time when I believed in so many things:

“Justin is a lucky man. Do you remember meeting me?” said the tall blonde with the blue eyes standing across the counter from me.

“I know you look familiar, are you a friend of Justin’s?” I asked as I studied his broad shoulders and admired his dimples as he smiled.

“We graduated together. I think I met the two of you at a picnic. You’re engaged to Justin Krueger, right?”

“Well…we were…” The smile fading from my lips as I held up the hand where my enormous diamond previously sat.  

“I’m really sorry Bianca. Please don’t look so sad. I didn’t mean to upset you.” He said tenderly as he reached across the counter to touch my hand gently.

“I’m okay,” I lied. “it’s, it’s, it’s not your fault.”

“If you need to talk, let me know. Here’s my card and I wrote my cell phone on the back, okay?”

I nodded. I was afraid that if I spoke I would cry and since I was at work and he was a customer, that’s the last thing I needed. I put the card in my sweater pocket and watched him walk away. What a nice guy, I thought to myself.

A few days went by and I picked up the phone and dialed his number.

“Michael?”

“Bianca?”

“Yes.”

…silence…

“Do you need to talk?” He asked and I was relieved that I didn’t have to explain myself.

“Yes.”

“Can I pick you up at the dealership at 5?”

“Yes.”

I can’t imagine what he is thinking. I’m calling him to talk and I could hardly say a thing on the phone. What a mess…

At 4:58 he walked into the service department at the dealership with a vanilla latte, a pink carnation, and a big smile. He walked right up to me and said “You’re too beautiful to be this sad, do you know that?”

Before I could answer, he had grabbed my hand and we were headed to the parking lot. He apologized for picking me up in a work van and explained it was this or his parents van with shag carpeting. His truck was in the shop, but he couldn’t bear to say no when I called. We laughed as I assured him that I wasn’t the kind of girl that cared about what type of vehicle he drove or how much money he made. He said he appreciated how down to earth I was and we spent hours concentrating on nothing but one another as we enjoyed a meal, dessert, more coffee, and a ridiculous amount of laughter and smiles.

The next day, two dozen roses arrived at work with a note that read: To the most amazing and beautiful woman I have ever met.

I found out later that he had confided in a friend saying “this is the girl I’m going to marry”. He hadn’t even kissed me, but after one night of conversation he already had made up his mind that I would be his wife. I had been flattered when he revealed this to me…not realizing then that I was just another acquisition, not all that different than the properties or businesses he bought and sold. With stars in my eyes, I thought ‘he’s going to love me forever, I get my happily ever after – I really get it!’

No comments:

Post a Comment