Blogging Mama

Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 5, 2012

What is it About Mayberry?

"I miss Mayberry...drinking ice cold Cherry Code...everything is black and white..."
The song repeats itself over and over in my mind. Of course I know what started me thinking about Mayberry - it was the passing of Andy Griffith. It seems that everyone I know is talking about Andy Griffith, which show was their favorite, how cute Opie Taylor was, etc...

This leads me to ask "What is it about Mayberry" that makes it so alluring to us?

I can only speak for myself, but this is what I found most attractive about the Mayberry concept:

* no need to lock your doors because your neighbors were friends and family who you knew by first name

* no need to wonder what your kids were doing, because you were friends with their parents and you were all on the same page with wanting what was best for your family

* time to sit on the porch and chat about ideas, concepts, etc...

* very little gossip - you wanted to uplift others by saying nice things

* home cooking and fresh from the garden food

* family meal time

The next time I'm eating or chatting with my kids, I am going to think twice about checking another email or text message. We are going to call it the Mayberry Mindset in our house. I am going to slow down, worry less, rush around less, and value what is truly valuable. Thank you Mayberry for reminding me that it's not about the balance in the check book, the amount of clothes in the closet, or the type of car that I drive. It's about people, trust, love, and relationships...and I want to get back to Mayberry.

May your paths be abundantly filled with lemons, sugar, sunshine and old fashioned values!
~Crystal

No comments:

Post a Comment