Blogging Mama

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Laundry Elves, Inner Critic, and the COACH...journal entry 9


Pretty sure this is entry 9, but it's been a long day....I must say that I enjoy journaling challenge. And if you didn't catch the earlier post about what this is all about, how to join, etc...here it is again: http://www.createwritenow.com/

And here is what my entry for day 9 looks like:

What does your inner critic say? What makes you think that you’re qualified to help others do anything? You’ve got three loads of unfolded laundry stacked in your basement, your lawn needs mowing, and your kids can’t find a pair of matched socks!

How does your inner coach respond? See pep talk below!

Remember – call on your inner coach any time!!!

Pep talk:
Coach: Crystal – grab a cup of coffee and step into my office. Why are you kicking your own ass? Aren’t there plenty of people out there willing to question your abilities? Why are you joining them?

Me: Um…..I suppose….I just wish there were more hours in the day.

Coach: What’s going to happen if the laundry isn’t folded?

Me: It might get wrinkled and it’s hard for everyone to find what they’re looking for.

Coach: That’s not what’s bothering you, what else is going to happen?

Me: My family might realize that I’m not perfect. They may think “why is she taking those kids to the park, 
beach, orchard, and stuff instead of folding laundry? Where are her priorities?”

Coach: Why DID you choose to do the other things instead of folding laundry?

Me: Because my kids aren’t going to remember if their clothes were nice and pressed, they ARE going to remember picking apples, swimming in Lake Michigan, and laughing with their mom. I feel like the laundry will always be there, but the weather is nice and the kids are little now…and they won’t always be.

Coach: So you’re comfortable with your decision to let the laundry pile up?

Me: Yes

Coach: So what you’re uncomfortable with is other people’s perception and their opinions abut you?

Me: Yes

Coach: Didn’t you mention something in an earlier session that it’s none of your business what other people think of you?

Me: Yes

Coach: Would you stop being friends with someone who had piles of laundry in their basement?

Me: No

Coach: Would you judge them as being lazy, dirty, sloppy, or think any less of them?

Me: No – I probably wouldn’t even notice. If I did notice, I wouldn’t care.

Coach: You wouldn’t care, because….????

Me: Because – it’s not what makes them a friend. I’m friends with them because they are thoughtful, intelligent, funny, amazing, and I enjoy spending time with them.

Coach: What makes you think they look at you any differently than you look at them?

Me: um……..(speechless)

Coach: Tell that little negative voice inside to take a flying leap – no one cares how many loads of laundry you have that need to be folded, they don’t care how often or how well you dust, and they don’t care how much money you have in the bank or how long your lawn is….they care about YOU and don’t you forget it! Now the next time that doubt creeps in, you look in the mirror and you say “I’m a great person, people like me, and I’m focusing on what’s important to me, because I’m worth it!”

with that said - I bid you all good night - my coach and my inner voice and I are off to dream (while the laundry remains a mess in the basement)

May your paths be abundantly filled with lemons, sugar, sunshine, and little elves who fold and put laundry away while you sleep!
~Crystal

1 comment: