Friday, September 2, 2016
DIY Deodorant - Your pits will thank you!
Here's what you need:
**A small mason jar or several small plastic containers with lids (example: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GNOHBLM?psc=1 )
**tablespoon for measuring (needs to be plastic or silicone - do not use metal)
**a plastic spoon and/or a chopstick
**2T Bentonite Clay
**5T Arrowroot Powder
**1T Baking Soda
**6T Coconut Oil
optional: 12 drop essential oils
Please note: some people use more baking soda and less arrowroot powder. I have sensitive skin and prefer no baking soda or very little baking soda which is why I use this particular ratio.
Here's what you do:
1) Melt your coconut oil (not in the microwave)
**I use a double boiler, but in the summer I can just use hot tap water and stir the coconut oil until it's liquefied
2) Measure all your dry ingredients into your jar (if using several smaller containers, do your mixing in a bowl with a pour spout - again, not metal) and mix mix mix using your plastic spoon or chopstick
3) Add the liquid coconut oil and stir until it's thoroughly mixed together
4) Add your essential oils (feel free to use less than 12 drops, but I wouldn't use more)
**Some suggested combinations: ylang ylang with frankincense, cedarwood with tea tree and patchouli, lavender alone or with rosemary, vanilla with brown sugar
5) Stir the essential oils in completely then let solidify (if you are impatient, you can use the refrigerator to speed along the process)
When you start using this type of deodorant, it's a little different since most of us aren't accustomed to applying our deodorant with our finger tips. You just use your fingers to scoop some of the semi-solid deodorant into your hand and then smooth it on your pits. Rub it in thoroughly and don't use too much. As long as it's rubbed in well, you won't have problems with stains on your clothing and you shouldn't have any smell problems. Enjoy!
If you try this recipe - please leave your comments and let others know what you think. Thanks!
You can find Crystal riding unicorns, taking the ordinary and giving it a little extra (making it extraordinary), blogging and reviewing books, baby carriers, cloth diapers, and all sorts of other stuff right here at: http://bringonlemons.blogspot.com/ and http://muffin.wow-womenonwriting.com/
Follow Crystal on goodreads, ezine articles, instagram, youtube, facebook, linkedin, or twitter - @iamagemcrystal!