Blogging Mama

Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 8, 2012

I'm the Best Mom Ever?

I couldn't think of a lemon-y title for this one folks - but I do have an appropriate quote: "Well all right, well all right. We'll live and love with all our might." ~Buddy Holly

As you know, I feel lemony from time to time and I embrace those challenges but turning them into lemonade and then asking for more - keep it coming! This morning however, I just had fun basking in the lemonade-ee goodness of time with my daughter. Tomorrow is her fifth birthday. The two of us went to lunch on the shores of lovely Lake Michigan; the restaurant owner himself serenaded her on his violin as we indulged in bananas foster cheesecake and chocolate cake (yes, my pants are snug at the moment). She looked at me with her deep blue eyes and said: "thanks for the amazing birthday present mom, you're the best mom ever!"

I have learned how to take compliments from others, but this one brought me to tears. You know why? Because I was a complete failure as a mom for the first five years of this little girls life. I didn't teach her how to tie her shoes, ride her bike, count to ten, or write her letters. I am NOT the best mom ever, because I was too busy trying to be everything to everybody. I was too busy trying to prove that I could have it all. With tears in my eyes I thanked her and promised myself quietly that would love up to that - I want to be the person she thinks I am. I know I can be.

I will take days off, I will make time to read to her class, I will make time for a family vacation. I will be my authentic self and focus on my faith, family, and THEN my business. I will work to live and not live to work. In will confidently say "I'm the best mom ever!" instead of "I'm the best mom ever?"

No comments:

Post a Comment