Skip to main content

"Crystal, Why are ALL Your Book Reviews SO Nice?"

Yes, it's true...my book reviews are more lemonade than lemons. For every 5 star review, trust me...there's a pile of books that didn't keep my interest, were poorly edited, or were just plain awful. The hard part is I was raised hearing my father say

"If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"

So - how exactly do I write a book review for a book that was awful? I guess I just sit down and do it and try to be as tactful and sensitive as possible. The problem is, I know these authors have poured their heart and soul into their work...it would be like telling someone they have an ugly baby...how do you do that?

I've decided that I'm not going to write lengthy reviews that are negative and I am not going to attack the author personally (no brainer, right?) but I did grab a stack of books from my library and review them on Amazon and Goodreads tonight. Out of the fourteen books I reviewed, some were 5 stars but not worthy of a lengthy review, and then there were a few 1 stars in the pile...you have to believe me when I say it was painful to give "those bad grades"...

Thank you to the friend who reminded me that by only reviewing 5 star books I was ruining my own credibility - I hope that same friend is around when these authors start sending me hate mail....lol

May your paths be abundantly filled with lemons, sugar, sunshine, and plenty of 5 star books to fill your bookshelves!
Love,
~Crystal

Comments

  1. Crystal, I like your attitude about the reviews. I can't seem to write a negative review. While I can sometimes say what I didn't like about the book, I always have to encourage others to check it out anyway. I may not have liked the book, but others may love it. I never want to discourage a reader from looking at a book. You've got a great attitude about books and reviews. Looking forward to reading more.

    Mason
    Thoughts in Progress

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

You Can Speak Your Mind, But Not On My Time?

Today's post title is inspired by the fabulous song that is likely going through your head right now "I still belong, don't get me wrong, you can speak your mind but not on my time...you can live your life, but this is my life..."etc... The topic however is inspired by a dear friend who recently said to me "why is it so hard for people to be real and have a conversation about things they disagree with?" I've been thinking about that queestion and the conversation that it inspired - what she was really talking about is feedback. Why is it so difficult to tell someone that you'd like them to do something differently? We beat around the bush, and sometimes never say what's on our mind. Isn't this really the rooot cause of relationship problems? The cause of dating mis-haps, family arguements, and the underlying issue that often results in anger and fighting? Before you answer, let me toss out some scenarios: 1) You're dating someone ...

Natural Remedies for Depression ?

Have you had those moments when you weren't feeling quite like yourself? Those negative thoughts were creeping in? clouding your judgment? making every day chores seem like amazing feats of heroism? If you've never felt like that - good for you! I on the other hand struggle with life's ups and downs. From depression during my divorce to post-partum depression, etc... I tend to be a very happy and optimistic person, but the flip side of that coin brings those days when staying in bed is more alluring than hopping in the shower and going through the motions of the day. There are some fabulous medications on the market today, and seeking the help of a healthcare professional is always a great idea. Sometimes I'm not feeling depressed, but I fear I'm headed there. I don't particularly care for some of the side effects of medications I have been on in the past, and a natural remedy can sometimes give me just the kick in the pants that I need to 'get happy...

May 7th WOW! Blog Tour - "The Pinochet Plot" by David Myles Robinson

David Myles Robinson's WOW! WOMEN ON WRITING TOUR OF The Pinochet Plot Tour Begins May 7th ! I'd like to schedule a fair amount of reviews to help lay the groundwork for a successful book launch and book tour. Can I count on your participation? Please email crystal@wow-womenonwriting.com or crystaljotto@gmail.com and let me know the following: 1) what date works best for you (dates between 5/7-6/7)? 2) what email address can I send your e-copy to? 3) what is the URL for the blog you'll be posting your review on? Here's some additional information to help you make your decision about participation. ABOUT THE BOOK: The brutal CIA-backed Chilean dictator, Augusto Pinochet, was known to have political opponents assassinated, but when a young Will Muñoz found his father murdered in the study of their Santa Fe home, he had no idea it might have been the work of a Pinochet assassin. Thirty years later, when reading his mother’s sui...