Blogging Mama

Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 14, 2013

It's All About Perspective

Some of you who know me well will know where this is going right away - others may get a good giggle in the end, but either way you'll get the gist of how important perspective is.

I am patiently waiting for our son to arrive. It's one of those situations where the Dr. keeps saying "any day now" and I go home and wonder if it's going to happen in the middle of making supper, giving the dog a bath, picking weeds, feeding calves, or driving to the grocery store. This is a good time to reflect on the births of the older children which brings me to a little story I want to share.

Before the birth of my daughter (who is now 6 and officially hates me more of the time than not) I took time off work and stayed at this great place about 45 minutes from home. The staff was fabulous and I am still friends with several of the nicest ladies you'll ever meet. I stayed on the 3rd floor and had plenty of fresh flowers, ice water, clean sheets, fabulous food, and plenty of cable channels to choose from. I even had room service to cut and color my hair, wax my eye brows, and do my nails (toes and fingers).

I look back on those days (I think I spent nearly 3 months relaxing before she arrived) and hope I appreciated them as much as I should have. Now, with 2 older children, a farm, and a husband to care for - there is very little relaxing time much less time to sleep in.

Now...as you read about where I spent the time prior to giving birth to my daughter you may have been thinking "must be nice to be wealthy" or "must be nice to hang out at a ritzy resort for pregnant chicks" but I have to admit...I was on hospital bed rest. I started off on bed rest at home due to an incompetent cervix and eventually things got worse and I was hospitalized. When people hear about the hospitalization they say 'oh, I'm sorry - how terrible' and I really want you to know that I didn't find it terrible at all. It was just as wonderful as any resort and the nursing staff quickly became friends whom I couldn't live without.

I suppose I could complain about the bills that weren't covered by insurance, the fact the bed was narrow, or how I missed the comfort of my own home...but in reality, if you set your mind on enjoying something, you will. I could have cried myself to sleep and had a pity party every evening, but instead I ate ice cream, watched Gilmore Girls, played solitare on my laptop, and chatted with my friends.

I still think a week or two of bedrest might be nice for every expecting mama. After all, giving birth is a miracle and you should be pampered. It is my dream that when my children get old enough to have children of their own (so my daughters and my daughters in law) that I am able to put them on a sort of bed rest where I can take care of them and pamper them for a few days so they don't have to worry about things, but until then...

it's back to waiting for me. I'm off to bed...maybe it will be tonight that my water breaks - you just never know!

Hugs to ya'all!

May your paths be abundantly filled with lemons, sugar, sunshine, and plenty of time for reflection!
~Crystal

No comments:

Post a Comment