Skip to main content

Not the Life I Had in Mind

"Mom, what did you want to be when you were little?"

I chuckled and answered truthfully: "A businesswoman in a suit, high heels, and pantyhose"

My seven year old daughter looked at me with that inquisitive (I see right through you) look and said "I'm glad you're just a mom"

She didn't mean any disrespect at all and a seven year old saying 'just a mom' has a totally different meaning than when one of your peers says it. She's right though. Plain and simple, I'm just a mom to her. She hardly realizes that I work from home, manage our business, and she could care less about all the other things I do all day. She wouldn't mind if I ate bonbons and watched soap operas. She truthfully only cares about my role as a mom. As long as there is a snack after school, toilet paper in the bathroom, and clean clothes in her closet she is quite satisfied that I'm doing my job. In fact, if the snack consists of chocolate chip cookies, she may even give me a raise if this really were a paying job.

This is not the life I had in mind. I thought my kids would be most proud if I had a fancy title, high power job, and a juicy paycheck. Truth is, yoga pants are fine and it's not about the balance in the checking account, it's about the tickle fights on the living room floor. For those who chose to judge, bring it on. There is a milkstain on my left shoulder, a bit of granola bar in my hair, something sticky on my yoga pants, and my lipstick wore off hours ago (or did I even put it on today?), If those things bother you, I get it...they once bothered me too. My current bosses (there are 4 of them) don't seem to care about my outward appearance. They are nominating me for employee of the month just because I bought the right brand of cereal at the grocery store and promised popcorn before bed.

This may not be the life I had in mind, but it's the life God had planned for me and it is far more rewarding than anything I had ever dreamed!

Comments

  1. Being a mom is hard work..........and not everyone woman who has children can do it or is good at it. You love your job and it loves you.....that is the most important part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love this post, Crystal! You said everything I feel everyday as "just a mom". There's definitely sacrifices, but the rewards far outweigh them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love this post, Crystal! You said everything I feel everyday as "just a mom". There's definitely sacrifices, but the rewards far outweigh them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this post too, Crystal! Beautiful, well written, and poignant. I admire you so much for all you do as a mom and all you do for WOW as a blog tour manager, which is not easy work! You are fantastic and I'm lucky to work with you. Big hugs! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. very good writing, says a lot about today's world.
    it also says how happy you were when writing without saying it .
    you always look well kept. ,clean and hair done, as a Mother of
    four that says a lot about you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

You Can Speak Your Mind, But Not On My Time?

Today's post title is inspired by the fabulous song that is likely going through your head right now "I still belong, don't get me wrong, you can speak your mind but not on my time...you can live your life, but this is my life..."etc... The topic however is inspired by a dear friend who recently said to me "why is it so hard for people to be real and have a conversation about things they disagree with?" I've been thinking about that queestion and the conversation that it inspired - what she was really talking about is feedback. Why is it so difficult to tell someone that you'd like them to do something differently? We beat around the bush, and sometimes never say what's on our mind. Isn't this really the rooot cause of relationship problems? The cause of dating mis-haps, family arguements, and the underlying issue that often results in anger and fighting? Before you answer, let me toss out some scenarios: 1) You're dating someone ...

Natural Remedies for Depression ?

Have you had those moments when you weren't feeling quite like yourself? Those negative thoughts were creeping in? clouding your judgment? making every day chores seem like amazing feats of heroism? If you've never felt like that - good for you! I on the other hand struggle with life's ups and downs. From depression during my divorce to post-partum depression, etc... I tend to be a very happy and optimistic person, but the flip side of that coin brings those days when staying in bed is more alluring than hopping in the shower and going through the motions of the day. There are some fabulous medications on the market today, and seeking the help of a healthcare professional is always a great idea. Sometimes I'm not feeling depressed, but I fear I'm headed there. I don't particularly care for some of the side effects of medications I have been on in the past, and a natural remedy can sometimes give me just the kick in the pants that I need to 'get happy...

May 7th WOW! Blog Tour - "The Pinochet Plot" by David Myles Robinson

David Myles Robinson's WOW! WOMEN ON WRITING TOUR OF The Pinochet Plot Tour Begins May 7th ! I'd like to schedule a fair amount of reviews to help lay the groundwork for a successful book launch and book tour. Can I count on your participation? Please email crystal@wow-womenonwriting.com or crystaljotto@gmail.com and let me know the following: 1) what date works best for you (dates between 5/7-6/7)? 2) what email address can I send your e-copy to? 3) what is the URL for the blog you'll be posting your review on? Here's some additional information to help you make your decision about participation. ABOUT THE BOOK: The brutal CIA-backed Chilean dictator, Augusto Pinochet, was known to have political opponents assassinated, but when a young Will Muñoz found his father murdered in the study of their Santa Fe home, he had no idea it might have been the work of a Pinochet assassin. Thirty years later, when reading his mother’s sui...