Skip to main content

Feeling Respected At Work

Stan Slap is one of my favorite authors (not to mention a really great guy!)


He was looking for stories about different work scenarios, situations, environments, etc...and if you submitted a 200+ word story, you could win an autographed copy of his book, etc...


There were several different categories you could choose to write about and the category I chose was about a time you were either respected or disrespected at work. Here is the story I shared:


Feeling respected by your co-workers is important, feeling respected by your boss is critical to your success and longevity with a company. I was fortunate enough to spend a decade of my professional career working for a company that really "got" the importance of respect. Their Mission statement included a statement about helping employees learn and grow so they would be successful and respected. The owner of the company introduced his staff (at all levels) as teammates. A stranger would never have known that he was the owner and the rest of us were beneath him on the corporate hierarchical ladder. My favorite example was a time when the owner I've described above, was on his way home from work and he passed a lemonade stand. He knew the lemonade stand was in front of one of his employee's homes and that her eight year old daughter was expressing her entrepreneurial tendencies. He pulled over, purchased a cup of lemonade for himself and his two daughters. While he was paying, he asked the young girl if her mother was Angela who worked at Americollect. The girl said yes, that's my mommy - to which he gracefully responded: oh, I work with her, she's a nice lady and you're lucky to have such a good mommy. The young girl thanked him and he drove off. Now that's a classy man!

If your company believes in a team concept and your managers do not rule by fear, you need to have mutual respect at all levels. That really comes from the top and trickles down. You cannot tell teammates to respect one another, openly accept feedback, and help one another grow and then walk around the office like (pardon my French) your crap doesn’t stink! The company I worked for encouraged even the newest employee to give feedback to anyone within the organization – including the owner. Training sessions were provided to instruct the team how to give feedback – and to make sure that it was well intended (otherwise it’s not feedback, it’s just bad manners).

I am now starting a company of my own and I feel truly fortunate to have had the experience I did. It makes me a better person, and when I’m ready for staff of my own, I am confident that I will be an amazing leader…and if I’m half the leader my previous boss was, I’ll consider myself a success!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You Can Speak Your Mind, But Not On My Time?

Today's post title is inspired by the fabulous song that is likely going through your head right now "I still belong, don't get me wrong, you can speak your mind but not on my time...you can live your life, but this is my life..."etc... The topic however is inspired by a dear friend who recently said to me "why is it so hard for people to be real and have a conversation about things they disagree with?" I've been thinking about that queestion and the conversation that it inspired - what she was really talking about is feedback. Why is it so difficult to tell someone that you'd like them to do something differently? We beat around the bush, and sometimes never say what's on our mind. Isn't this really the rooot cause of relationship problems? The cause of dating mis-haps, family arguements, and the underlying issue that often results in anger and fighting? Before you answer, let me toss out some scenarios: 1) You're dating someone ...

Natural Remedies for Depression ?

Have you had those moments when you weren't feeling quite like yourself? Those negative thoughts were creeping in? clouding your judgment? making every day chores seem like amazing feats of heroism? If you've never felt like that - good for you! I on the other hand struggle with life's ups and downs. From depression during my divorce to post-partum depression, etc... I tend to be a very happy and optimistic person, but the flip side of that coin brings those days when staying in bed is more alluring than hopping in the shower and going through the motions of the day. There are some fabulous medications on the market today, and seeking the help of a healthcare professional is always a great idea. Sometimes I'm not feeling depressed, but I fear I'm headed there. I don't particularly care for some of the side effects of medications I have been on in the past, and a natural remedy can sometimes give me just the kick in the pants that I need to 'get happy...

May 7th WOW! Blog Tour - "The Pinochet Plot" by David Myles Robinson

David Myles Robinson's WOW! WOMEN ON WRITING TOUR OF The Pinochet Plot Tour Begins May 7th ! I'd like to schedule a fair amount of reviews to help lay the groundwork for a successful book launch and book tour. Can I count on your participation? Please email crystal@wow-womenonwriting.com or crystaljotto@gmail.com and let me know the following: 1) what date works best for you (dates between 5/7-6/7)? 2) what email address can I send your e-copy to? 3) what is the URL for the blog you'll be posting your review on? Here's some additional information to help you make your decision about participation. ABOUT THE BOOK: The brutal CIA-backed Chilean dictator, Augusto Pinochet, was known to have political opponents assassinated, but when a young Will Muñoz found his father murdered in the study of their Santa Fe home, he had no idea it might have been the work of a Pinochet assassin. Thirty years later, when reading his mother’s sui...