Skip to main content

Poem - No Longer a Child

I recently had the honor and privilege of listening to a book report and learning about the book titled: Vietnam - Book II 'Sharpshooter' by Chris Lynch

Below is a link to the Amazon site for the book, as well as the Amazon book description. Just under the book description is a poem I wrote about the book and the main character, Ivan's experience fighting in Vietnam. The poem is titled "No Longer a Child" and is written in the style of Maxwell Bodenheim's famous poem Death

http://www.amazon.com/Vietnam-2-Sharpshooter-Chris-Lynch/dp/054527026X



Amazon book description:

Some things are worth fighting for.

Of all his friends, Ivan is the only one looking forward to war.

That's because he has never backed down from a fight - - especially when it comes to fighting for what's right. He has protected his friends from bullies for years. And now, as war erupts in Vietnam, Ivan wants nothing more than to fight for his country, just as his father did in World War II.

Enlisting in the United States Army, Ivan is trained to be a sniper. And he's good at it. Very good. But Vietnam is not the war he was expecting. Somehow the glory and heroism of his father's war stories do not come so easily in the jungle.

Now, for the first time, Ivan is forced to question what he's really fighting for ... and whether it's a fight he can hope to win.




No Longer a Child
~by Crystal Casavant-Otto




Leaving the safety of home and school.
In the footsteps of my hero, Dad.
U.S. Army Man -  marching to war.
My heart heavy death on all sides - feeling foreign.
Perched and hiding. Hoping. Zeroing in.
Secret missions, covering my men.
Innocent blood being shed.
My heart hardening with each spray of warm blood.
Fighting Christian morals of youth and rules of war.
How could I do it? Could I not?
Protecting my country. Innocence lost. Darkness.
Darkness without  sleep. I am no longer a child. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You Can Speak Your Mind, But Not On My Time?

Today's post title is inspired by the fabulous song that is likely going through your head right now "I still belong, don't get me wrong, you can speak your mind but not on my time...you can live your life, but this is my life..."etc... The topic however is inspired by a dear friend who recently said to me "why is it so hard for people to be real and have a conversation about things they disagree with?" I've been thinking about that queestion and the conversation that it inspired - what she was really talking about is feedback. Why is it so difficult to tell someone that you'd like them to do something differently? We beat around the bush, and sometimes never say what's on our mind. Isn't this really the rooot cause of relationship problems? The cause of dating mis-haps, family arguements, and the underlying issue that often results in anger and fighting? Before you answer, let me toss out some scenarios: 1) You're dating someone ...

Natural Remedies for Depression ?

Have you had those moments when you weren't feeling quite like yourself? Those negative thoughts were creeping in? clouding your judgment? making every day chores seem like amazing feats of heroism? If you've never felt like that - good for you! I on the other hand struggle with life's ups and downs. From depression during my divorce to post-partum depression, etc... I tend to be a very happy and optimistic person, but the flip side of that coin brings those days when staying in bed is more alluring than hopping in the shower and going through the motions of the day. There are some fabulous medications on the market today, and seeking the help of a healthcare professional is always a great idea. Sometimes I'm not feeling depressed, but I fear I'm headed there. I don't particularly care for some of the side effects of medications I have been on in the past, and a natural remedy can sometimes give me just the kick in the pants that I need to 'get happy...

May 7th WOW! Blog Tour - "The Pinochet Plot" by David Myles Robinson

David Myles Robinson's WOW! WOMEN ON WRITING TOUR OF The Pinochet Plot Tour Begins May 7th ! I'd like to schedule a fair amount of reviews to help lay the groundwork for a successful book launch and book tour. Can I count on your participation? Please email crystal@wow-womenonwriting.com or crystaljotto@gmail.com and let me know the following: 1) what date works best for you (dates between 5/7-6/7)? 2) what email address can I send your e-copy to? 3) what is the URL for the blog you'll be posting your review on? Here's some additional information to help you make your decision about participation. ABOUT THE BOOK: The brutal CIA-backed Chilean dictator, Augusto Pinochet, was known to have political opponents assassinated, but when a young Will Muñoz found his father murdered in the study of their Santa Fe home, he had no idea it might have been the work of a Pinochet assassin. Thirty years later, when reading his mother’s sui...