I tried a new recipe this morning (I always try to make something warm and gooey as a treat for mid-milking Saturday mornings) and my 6 year old son Andre said "Everyone is going to be in love with this recipe, that's for sure Mom!" so that said, I figured it was worth sharing:
Lard (just a dab to coat your bread pan)...or use spray oil if you prefer
1 cup melted butter
2 cups sugar
2 farm fresh eggs
2 cups buttermilk/raw milk (or 2 cups milk plus 2 tablespoons vinegar if you prefer)
4 cups unbleached flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2/3 cups sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1) Coat the inside and bottom of your pans (you'll need two) with the lard. I also keep a shaker of cinnamon and sugar on hand for the kiddos to use on toast in the morning and I added a few shakes to the bottom of the pans as well (I believe you can never have too much cinnamon and sugar). Set pans aside and preheat oven to 350.
2) Just use a spoon for this step: Mix sugar and butter together, then add baking soda and eggs and mix again. Add 2 cups of flour and mix again. Add buttermilk and remaining flour and mix again.
3) Grab the hand mixer/electric mixer and finish mixing the batter. You don't have the knead this dough, and the mixer will work well on a low speed. Don't mix too long, just a minute or so.
4) Pour approximately 1" of batter into the bottom of each pan and use 1/4 of the cinnamon/sugar mixture for each pan and layer it over the batter.
5) Grab a butter knife and cut the cinnamon/sugar mixture into the batter to swirl it around (I let the kiddos do this step and they write their names and all sorts of nonsense)
6) Pour remaining batter into your pans.
7) Pour the remaining cinnamon/sugar mixture over the batter and repeat step 5.
8) Tap the pans lightly to make sure everything is even and place them in the oven for 45-50 minutes. You'll know it's done if you insert a toothpick in the center and it comes out clean.
9) Enjoy!!! (it does make 2 loaves so you can share with a friend or neighbor so it's a win/win!)
May your paths be abundantly filled with lemons, sugar, sunshine, and plenty of sweets to share with your friends!
Post a Comment