Blogging Mama

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

I Want To Baffle You...

I discovered Robert Frost when I was in 2nd grade. My love for poetry hasn't changed, and I fell more in love with Robert Frost with every word I read. Once poem in particular spoke to me when reading The Outsiders and if we were chatting at a coffee shop, I'd recite it for you now. Instead, here you go:

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.

Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

There are many days that these words knock around in my brain. They remind me of those who have left my life, and those who I should appreciate more while they're still in it. It's cliche, but this poem in particular speaks to me.

I also stumbled upon some other words written by Frost. When asked about his writing, he said that he liked to puzzle his reader a bit - to baffle them and yet (or thereby) propel them forward:


My poems - I should suppose everybody's poems - are all set to trip the reader head foremost into the boundless. Ever since infancy I have head the habit of leaving my blocks carts chairs and such like ordinaries where people would be pretty sure to fall forward over them in the dark. Forward, you understand, and in the dark.


And not that I liken my writings to that of Robert Frost (or anyone more experienced than a 5th grader), but I do hope that they leave readers asking questions, looking at things a bit differently, and wondering what they need to do to move forward.

and with that, I bid you goodbye for today!

May your paths be abundantly filled with lemons, sugar, sunshine, and a bit of baffelry! (my blog, I can make up words)

~ Crystal

No comments:

Post a Comment