Blogging Mama

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Going Back From Whence We Came

We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came" ~ John F. Kennedy


I'm not sure if it's all the wedding talk or just the fact that Spring was my favorite season as a child, but I've been feeling a little melancholy the last few days. Lots of little things have been making me cry. Many would say "it's about time" since I pride myself in not crying...neither here nor there, I needed a little pick me up. Andre and I went to the beach where my father took me so many times as a child. Then, I was the child and he led me under the shade tree and reminded me the importance of listening and taught me to respect the water and the waves because they are both beautiful and dangerous. The tree is larger now, but it has stood the test of time. This morning, I was the parent and reminded my son of the very same things that were told to me at his age.

And then we played...with rocks, sticks, shells, water, our imaginations and our shadows. Most importantly, we laughed. We laughed long and hard, we laughed until our sides ached and our mouths hurt. Then we laughed some more. I understand that my Daddy cannot be with me, but boy does it bring me joy to know that his words, his wisdom, and his love are being carried on to the next generation. Some people may go to a house or a head stone when they feel they need to go back to where they came from, but in this family, we flock to the water like seagulls longing for their home. We are tied to it and the water quenches something deep within us.

May your paths be abundantly filled with lemons, sugar, and sunshine!

~Crystal

No comments:

Post a Comment